One of many brightest stars in hip-hop will shine at Rhianna’s 2020 Savage x Fenty Trend Present. Roddy Ricch will carry out, so right here’s what that you must learn about ‘The Field’ rapper.
You must think about that anybody hoping for a Roddy Ricch x Rihanna collaboration wasn’t anticipating this. Roddy, 21, shall be one of many performers throughout Rihanna’s Savage X Fenty Fashion Show Vol. 2 on Oct. 2. Ella Mai will reunite together with her “Boo’d Up” DJ/Producer Mustard, and Miguel, Travis Scott, Dangerous Bunny, Miguel, and Rosalía are additionally scheduled to carry out. Contemplating this present options a number of the biggest celebs (Bella Hadid, Normani, Lizzo, Demi Moore, Cara Delevigne, Paris Hilton, and so forth.), it could make sense to get one of many hottest names in hip-hop concerned. For many who want the 411 on Roddy, right here’s a short refresher on the man who’s been dominating the charts in 2020.
1. He’s a younger star throughout the hip-hop world. Rodrick Wayne Moore Jr., the person who would turn out to be Roddy Ricch grew up in Compton, California. He began rapping as a youth and commenced his profession as a teen. “I purchased some gear, after which I began recording actual heavy, in my room, once I was like 16,” he instructed XXL in 2018. “I used to be simply playin’ with it.” That pastime led to him placing out his first mixtape, Feed Tha Streets, in 2017. The sequel, Feed Tha Streets II, could be his breakthrough. A single from it, “Die Younger,” launched in July 2018, blew up on-line, finally going double Platinum.
Following “Die Younger,” evidently every thing Roddy touched turned to Platinum. He had a run of singles – “Each Season,” “Undertaking Desires,” “Begin wit Me,” “The Field,” and “Excessive Trend” (that includes his fellow Savage X Fenty performer, Mustard) – that had been profitable hits.
“My finest good friend died in a high-speed chase. Earlier than he went to jail, he instructed me, ‘Roddy, chase the bag, do what you gotta do, put this earlier than something.’ I seemed as much as him, ’trigger he was getting cash earlier than me. It’s extra about chasing it, for me,” Roddy instructed XXL. “I don’t actually be placing no limitations or projections on myself. I simply go do it.”
2. Roddy has a success album…Roddy launched his debut studio album, Please Excuse Me For Being Delinquent, on Dec. 6, 2019. It premiered at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and spent the subsequent two months hovering close to the highest of the chart. It might take the No. 1 spot for the fourth time in mid-February, earlier than slowly sliding down. As of October 2020, ten months after its launch, it’s at No. 32. The album received the 2020 BET Award for Album of the Year and can probably be a contender within the 2021 Grammy Awards. He’s already a Grammy winner, selecting up Finest Rap Efficiency for “Racks In The Center” through the 2020 ceremony.
3. …and two hit singles. Roddy will probably finish 2020 with the title of “Most Weeks Spent At The High Of The Billboard Sizzling 100.” His single “The Field” dominated the primary three months of 2020, occupying the No. 1 spot for eleven weeks, from Jan. 18 to March 28. From there, the No. 1 spot was a revolving door, with The Weeknd, Drake, Doja Cat, Ariana Grande and Justin Bieber, and Girl Gaga all taking the crown. Roddy returned the No. 1 place as a featured artist on DaBaby’s “Rockstar.” The monitor spent 5 weeks on the prime, giving Roddy 16 whole weeks of being No. 1 this yr.
4. He’s a low-key sort of man. “I don’t actually partake within the celeb side of all of it,” Roddy stated to GQ in January 2020. “I don’t go to events, I don’t hang around, I don’t actually speak to no person. I don’t actually take into account myself a star,” he explains. “When the world catches me exterior, then it’s like, ‘Oh shit, it’s Roddy!’ I’m cool about it, so long as my private house isn’t threatened. It’s humorous, I’m not a star, I assume I’m simply identified.”
5. Roddy says he may have been within the NBA. “I was like Michael Jordan in highschool, no cap,” he instructed XXL in 2018. “[I was a] level guard. I used to be extra like an Allen Iverson sort of n—a, I ain’t gon lie. Jordan was a dunking sort of n—a. I used to be extra like that cross-a-n—a-up, breaking-his-ankles sort scenario.”